[Dixielandjazz] Shtick

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 21 11:12:17 PDT 2007

What is the origin of the whole garter belt/straw hat/red suspenders/red
vest menality in OKOM?

Obviously, the whole Rosie O'Grady's/Your Father's Mustache/Shakey's thing
has a part, but where did THEY get the notion?

It makes sense that ragtime players in bars/sporting houses would wear
garters to stash their tips, much like a stripper (so I'm told...  ;)   And
I know straw hats were once quite the high fashion, but I also doubt that
Oliver/Armstrong/ODJB/Wolverines et al would have worn that kind of thing on
the bandstand.  Did they even wear uniforms per se??

My hypothesis goes to Max Morath and Bob Darch, doing their shtick in the
50's and wearing the garters/straw hats/red vests as part of the estimable
historic record.  To use one of Shiek Littlefield's phrasings, the mASSES
saw that and figured all the music is the same, be it Joplin or Jelly Roll,
and started requesting that as a costume for gigs.  And, a stereotype is
born.

So, when a non-OKOM player (meaning, someone who is proficient and
experienced in swing, bop, and beyond) suddenly gets the opportunistic
notion to play "Dixieland" and gets the gig, they want garters, black
pants/white shirt, bow tie.  Would they wear a fez to play bop, like Diz?
Shoot up, and get drunk, like Bird?  Turn their back to the audience like
Miles?  I think not.

I absolutely hate the black/white/vest mentality.  I do it, because I want
the job.  Anything I book myself will not be a black/white/vest thing, much
less garters.  Unless you're wearing stockings instead of pantyhose, but
that's a different story.

Now, a nice Panama hat, well yeah, like Leon Redbone, that's a different
story!  But not with black pants/white shirt.

end of rant.

steve