[Dixielandjazz] Singing Happy Birthday is a No-No - Was Who is BMI

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 21 02:57:39 PDT 2007

THIS JUST IN!

Whilst having dinner at a lovely mom&pop-owned Italian restaurant this
evening, I heard the Forbidden Song sung by service personnel, and at a
volume not intended to deceive any BMI staffers that might have been hiding
in the woodwork.  Knowing that a crime was taking place, I hunched over my
plate of fettucini and hummed another tune (pre-01/01/1923) to myself,
occasionally raising my head to swig from my lovely bottle of Italian lager
the whilst.  The owner was actually having her own dinner at the table next
to me, to whom I was tempted to share our favorite bit of legal dogma, but
decided against it in the end.  Hearing a gaggle of Mexican waiters in an
Italian restaurant singing a particularly white-bread piece of Americana at
an unnaturally high volume in an Italian restaurant on the edge of a
particularly insignificant town, is almost too good to jeapordise.

Just had to share.  Back to the usual tirades...,
----
Etc,

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon, Vicar-general
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
Archdiocese of California
www.naorc.org

"Simplicity, when it is not a careless gift of the Muse, is the last and
most painful achievement of conscientious self-denial." - James Russell
Lowell.