[Dixielandjazz] Saving Internet Radio

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Thu Apr 19 11:56:54 PDT 2007

If you believe in saving internet radio, you might be interested in the
message below.

Mike

Hi, it's Tim from Pandora,

I'm writing today to ask for your help.  The survival of Pandora and all
of Internet radio is in jeopardy because of a recent decision by the
Copyright Royalty Board in Washington, DC to almost triple the licensing
fees for Internet radio sites like Pandora.  The new royalty rates are
irrationally high, more than four times what satellite radio pays, and
broadcast radio doesn't pay these at all.  Left unchanged, these new
royalties will kill every Internet radio site, including Pandora.

SaveNetRadio Coalition, a group that includes listeners, artists, labels
and webcasters.  I hope that you will consider joining us.

Please sign our petition urging your Congressional representative to act
to save Internet radio:
http://capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/issues/alert/?alertid=9631541

Please feel free to forward this link/email to your friends - the more
petitioners we can get, the better.

Understand that we are fully supportive of paying royalties to the
artists whose music we play, and have done so since our inception.  As a
former touring musician myself, I'm no stranger to the challenges facing
working musicians.  The issue we have with the recent ruling is that it
puts the cost of streaming far out of the range of ANY webcaster's
business potential.

I hope you'll take just a few minutes to sign our petition - it WILL
make a difference. As a young industry, we do not have the lobbying
power of the RIAA. You, our listeners, are by far our biggest and most
influential allies.

As always, and now more than ever, thank you for your support.

tim_signature.jpg
-Tim Westergren
(Pandora founder)