[Dixielandjazz] 2007 Pulitzer Prize for MUSIC

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 17 06:43:10 PDT 2007

The 2007 Pulitzer Prize for MUSIC is announced.  The winner was:

MUSIC: ORNETTE COLEMAN

³Sound Grammar²
Mr. Coleman, the 77-year-old jazz saxophonist and composer, won for ³Sound
Grammar,² a live album by his most recent quartet, recorded in 2005.

Elastic and bracing, with two acoustic basses and much collective
improvisation, the music harks back to the 1960s records that made him
famous. ³I¹m tearing and I¹m surprised and happy ‹ and I¹m glad I¹m an
American,² he said. ³And I¹m glad to be a human being who¹s a part of making
American qualities more eternal.²

FINALISTS ³Grendel² by Elliot Goldenthal; ³Astral Canticle² by Augusta Read
Thomas.