[Dixielandjazz] Royalty & performing payments

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Apr 17 02:11:49 PDT 2007

>On Behalf Of tcashwigg at aol.com
 Well Jim Kash just told you what it's all about, a check for most of them
that is about enough to buy them a Beer.

Actually, I was referring to one song that we wrote & recorded for a touring
theater that lasted on the stages of Spain for a year.  Since we were 5
"composers" & performers, each person's check was quite small, but larger
than I suggested! It was dutifully collected by the appropriate agencies,
and has arrived in each of our bank accounts, minus taxes, every trimester.
Do a lot of songs for a lot of theater, and it would add up! The music took
up 11 minutes of the show, as background music, etc., so we were given the
bit of royalties paid based on that percentage of the time the play lasted
in seats filled.  (Did that make any sense?)

There is a lot of complaining about these collection agencies all over the
world.  But, without them, there would be no royalties paid at all.  Those
that know how to play the game can rake in the cash.  The money is there.
Obviously there are operational costs for these large organizations, and
what is left over...and, how it is distributed, is the reason for
complaints.

As a writer & producer of tv jingles in the 1970's (Spanish tv), I got paid
very good money for my compositions in the way of royalties.  And, I still
get royalties on pop songs that I co-wrote in the early 1970's.  Plus,
performing rights from recording sessions from 1969 to the late 1990's.

Don't have the answer about these orgs.  They are a necessary evil, I
suppose.

Jim