[Dixielandjazz] Who is BMI?

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Mon Apr 16 20:44:16 PDT 2007

I'm a new member of ASCAP but I don't have enough experience
with them to really speak much about them. I am still learning
much about the organization. I do know other people who are
longtime members and perhaps I can get them to shoot me an email
about them.

ASCAP in 2005 did collect about 750 million in licensing fees
and distributed about 646 million in royalties to members.

I do recall that SESAC was mentioned earlier on the list; it's
European based and by invitation only(you usually have to be a
well established writer to even be considered for membership;
they believe in quality not quantity).

As far as things changing, I totally agree that it will take
every single member speaking out. Money has a funny way of
silencing the lambs.

Mike