[Dixielandjazz] Hobby Bands

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 12:11:08 PDT 2007

The 50's?  I visited London in 1964, and jazz was everywhere.
Whatever you may say of British trad (banjo-ridden, shallow, etc.), it
was THE popular music there for a long time.  Of course, demand causes
proliferation of bands, and some are better than others.  Acker Bilk,
for example, adopted a ridiculous Victorian waistcoat (vest for
Americans) and a Derby hat, and played a lot of stuff with little jazz
content, but that helped him to sell some excellent jazz!  And Chris
Barber and Kenny Ball are still going strong.  Did you know that the
Beatles were an intermission group in the club where the Merseysippi
Jazz Band played?  By the way, that band still exists, with some of
the original members!
Cheers