[Dixielandjazz] Hobby bands strike again

Bill Allen ballen at deltapathology.com
Thu Apr 12 14:34:38 PDT 2007

True story -

A number of years ago a new festival was started in my area called the Red
River Revel, started by the Junior League which is basically a bunch of
soccer moms. I was working for the local AF of M president at the time, at
his place of business. The group asked for the Union to waive its ban
against  gratis performances by Union members because, after all, it was a
new festival trying to get off the ground, it was good "exposure" for the
musicians, etc., etc. Against his better judgement, the prez relented and
OK'd gratis performances.

You know what happened - after the festival, the Junior League had a
members-only closing night party - and hired a show band from Dallas for
thousands of dollars!

That's the last time any local bands worked for free.