[Dixielandjazz] young jazz pianist Sam Reider

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Apr 11 08:58:06 PDT 2007

not exactly OKOM, but anyway - In the San Francisco Chronicle this
morning:

Sam Reider leans into the grand piano at the Urban School of San
Francisco and improvises a half-dozen bop-inflected choruses on the
chord changes of Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm,'' singing along with the
lyrical lines flowing from his fingers. At 18, the kid plays with the
swinging fluidity of a seasoned pro.

Like most jazz musicians, Reider, an Urban senior, knows those
"Rhythm'' changes inside out. He works them over every day after
school in all 12 keys at ever-faster tempos.

"It's taken me two and a half years to get to that point,'' says the
prize-winning pianist, whose daily regimen also includes playing
scales, a classical work (lately Chopin's "Fantasie Impromptu'') to
polish his technique, sight-reading some Bach and transcribing
another piece into every key.

Reider will play a range of music -- his original tunes, Charlie
Parker numbers, blues, perhaps the Hebrew song "Eli, Eli'' and some
of mandolin master David Grisman's "Dawg'' music -- Thursday night at
the Great American Music Hall at a benefit concert he cooked up,
raised the money for and is producing.

continued at

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/11/
DDG5SP5GHB1.DTL&type=music