[Dixielandjazz] remembering the lyrics

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Apr 9 07:40:09 PDT 2007

But in that case the words are pretty much the music and the instruments
purely background and in that case phrasing and other musical considerations
are totally back seat to the words.  This kind of music is often performed
with a single guitar simply strumming a beat with chords in the background.

The original premise that you need lyrics to phrase properly is still weak.
I think your third paragraph is pretty much right on.

I ran across a street musician in New Orleans singing quaintly enough "The
City of New Orleans" with just a guitar.  This guy really had it all nailed
together.  Great everything, his guitar was even in tune.
Larry