[Dixielandjazz] Monty Alexander

Hans en Corrie Koert koerthchkz at zeelandnet.nl
Mon Apr 9 00:31:47 PDT 2007

Thanks Art for sharing your story about the Alexander-Clayton-Hamilton Trio
you saw recently. I heard it last fall. Enjoy my review of that concert:
http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2006/11/alexander-clayton-hamilton-trio_20.
html

Sweet Hollywaiians
http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2007/04/sweet-hollywaiians.html

Keep swinging

Hans Koert

Art wrote: I had a great time listening to Monty, Jeff Hamilton and John
Clayton.  There is nothing like being ringside in a intimate nightclub
hearing great  jazz. John plays an unamplified string bass and of course
Jeff plays very tasty  drums. Monty is, to say the least, a world class
piano man, IMHO.
I was very impressed by Jeff's approach to percussion which included
rolling  his brushes across the head of the snare, tapping the cymbals
lightly  with  ringed part of the brushes and occasional explosive
contrasts. He outshines   the typical drummer with his melodic approach...
not just a  timekeeper trying  to dominate or overpower the melody. He is a
refreshing  and equal participant
in the harmony and phrasing of the song.
Jeff also played the tubs with his finger tips...the beauty of being in a
lightly amplified venue is that he could whisper on his set and add nuances
that  were surprising and very pleasant.

The interplay between Monty and John was fun to watch. One time Monty
appeared to be going for a left hand bass note and instead of actually
playing  the note, his hand stopped short and John completed the note on the
bass. It was  fun to watch. John also plays arco with the timbre of a cello.

Sincerely,
Art Wood