[Dixielandjazz] remembering the lyrics

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Mon Apr 9 00:00:25 PDT 2007

Your words are very true, especially in songs which do not have
lyrics. For me lyrics are a starting point and that was what I
was trying to express. There are many ways to approach a tune
and not any one thing works for everyone. You have to figure out
what works for you and go for it. Knowing lyrics obviously do
hold some merit as the following story will help illustrate:

"On a lesson with Ellis Marsalis I had prepared the Errol Garner
tune "Misty". As we sat down and I began to play Ellis stopped
me and simply smiled and said, "Have you ever heard the words to
this?" I said "no" and Ellis immediately told me then come back
when you do. Once I learned the lyrics the tune was much easier
to play and appreciate."

Mike