[Dixielandjazz] remembering the lyrics

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Apr 8 11:59:00 PDT 2007

Knowing the lyrics is different from understanding the lyrics.  There are
singers out there who know the words but don't understand what's going on.
I will ask you too the question that by that logic how can anyone possibly
understand or play Beethoven or Mozart without any words?

I don't need someone or something to tell me what a line of music is all
about nor do they do things like set tempo.  How do you ever set a tempo?
The words don't indicate it.

Words have their use but are only superficial when it comes to knowing what
the music is all about and I think they are a by-product of listening to a
tune a bunch.  I think of them as only the beginning to understanding what a
musical line is all about.

If needing to know the words was true then no one would be able to play a
blues in Bb.  I have been playing  that for years and hearing it for years
from other musicians.  The wonderful endless variety of a simple blues in Bb
can only be explained by all those musicians feeling something inside and it
isn't words.

If learning the words are a help then do it.  I think they get more in the
way to understanding.  They just don't float my personal boat.
Larry
St. Louis