[Dixielandjazz] remembering the lyrics

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Apr 8 11:36:33 PDT 2007

I tell my students to listen to good singers if they want to play well but I
don't agree that learning the words has more than a superficial impact on
phrasing.  Phrasing is a whole science to its self and while not entirely
separate from words is not at all dependent on them.  If it were then no one
would be able to phrase music that didn't have them.  The ability to phrase
on an instrument (or voice) is way past something as simplistic as knowing
the words.  That's not to say that musical phrasing on  an instrument is
totally different from the words but I just think that it's a higher order.
You mentioned several of the greats and their phrasing.  Then if I memorize
the words and the notes somehow I will automatically phrase correctly?  Far
from it.

The first time anyone talked to me about phrasing or even used the word was
in my third year of college.  I was studying under a former player of the
Memphis Symphony.  She and I discussed it at some length.  But digressing a
lot my very first teacher who was an old Italian guy who played in the St.
Louis Symphony said that the sax was most like singing.  I never forgot
that.  It was the best thing he ever taught.

To learn to phrase, use dynamics and vibrato and a bunch of other things you
should listen to high quality singers and it helps IMHO if you turn off the
words and listen to the voice as an instrument.

I also think that you can't really teach phrasing.  There may be but I don't
know of a single book dedicated to the art of phrasing yet this is the heart
and soul of music.  You might be able to demonstrate it but I defy anyone to
teach someone to sing, phrase and interpret like those you mentioned.  If
that were possible we would all be great.   A 10 year old kid might have it
whereas a 50 year old might not have a clue.

You said:> Believe it or not, there are a lot of musicians who learn the
words to a tune;

I think they would be better advised to climb inside of the music and listen
to each nuance of volume, tone, color, vibrato and many other tiny things.
It doesn't hurt anything to learn the words and if it helps OK but I listen
to music differently and words are only the icing on the cake.  A musician
has to be like a method actor and become the tune.  I am working with a
singer right now who sings the words and notes wonderfully but when she's
done you don't have anything.  She just doesn't connect with the listener
even though everything is technically correct.  She says nothing most of the
time.  Sometimes I get her to really feel the music but then the next time
she regresses to the same old stuff.

One of the problems with not learning words is that you can lose the ability
to learn words which to me are like telephone numbers and other strings of
endless nonsense.  Don't think that I am commenting on the quality of the
words but they make little sense to me in context with about the same as
reciting telephone numbers.

I have a wildly varying ability to remember words to tunes, chord
progressions, street or person names and telephone numbers but I can
remember other complex sequences in computer programming and often 20 or
more very intricate steps to do the artwork that I do.  I also remember and
memorize  music fairly quickly.  That's why I'm married to a woman who
remembers telephone numbers, people and often most importantly street names
and sequences of streets.  A recurring nightmare is that I will have a
wreck, be hurt, call the 911 operator and she asks me where I am and what
street I'm on.  OOPS!
Larry
St. Louis