[Dixielandjazz] remembering the lyrics

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Sun Apr 8 01:38:26 PDT 2007

Believe it or not, there are a lot of musicians who learn the
words to a tune; it helps with phrasing. Whenever I am learning
a new tune I first learn the lyrics. I usually do this by
listening to a vocalist sing it. Frank Sinatra is one of my favs
but you can't go wrong with Ella Fitzgerald or many others. Have
you ever heard how Sarah Vaughn sings 'Summertime'? Listen to
how she milks every single word getting everything she can out
of it. That's how to really learn and phrase a tune.

Mike