[Dixielandjazz] Pay scale

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 21:39:35 PDT 2007

Hi Dave:

That would not be a fair thing or even useful for the most part:

why because all bands are not created equal and some are simply not
worth what others are for a lot of reasons.

That is how the Union got into trouble trying to treat all musicians
who were coughing up the membership fees as equal and saying that they
should all make the same money for a three hour gig.   With no
consideration given whatsoever as to the skill levels of the band or
musicians and whether or not they were actually of Professional quality
to play the gig according to what the Customer wanted.

There is a world of difference in the quality and performance and
energy levels of bands who simply show up and play charts as opposed to
those that play together often and rehearse as a solid unit building
and strengthening their sound as a band.

The reason that top level bands will not discuss their actual pay
amounts for gigs is because there are far more amateur and hobbyist
bands out there looking to get on any stage anytime for any amount, and
they will damned sure undercut the good professional band in price time
and time again just to get a gig.   We talk about it all the time in
comparison  like I will offer Brain surgery on my days off at a
discount or root canals for $10.00 just for the practice etc.   So
while we joke about it we are also dead serious about it.

What is a fair price for a good band for an evening?  that is almost
always dictated by the marketplace the band is living and working in,
the reputation of the band and the quality of their music as perceived
by the talent buyer at the time.    That being said you should look at
the daily living expenses to support yourself and your family and or
obligations for day to day living, and certainly charge a minimum of
that much to come out of the house and go play the gig.   It could be
anywhere from $80.00 to $200.00 a day per man just for basic living
expenses depending upon where you live.  If you have to go on the road
you need to get a minimum of double that to pay your road expenses and
your daily bills at home while you are gone, sideman or leader.

For instance the going rate in New Orleans is about $40.00 an hour and
the average gig is 2 hours, according to many of my friends who live
and play there.  Unfortunately they get about two gigs a week at that
rate and therefore make about $160.00 for a weekend, and then they try
to find anything else they can all week long to supplement these basic
gigs.  There are many bars there that are open almost all night so they
do get chances to play a few other sets in them as long as their chops
can hold out and maybe make $25.00 or tips.

I understand from some of them that they dutifully play Preservation
Hall for $25.00 a gig as well.

They can sometimes get better money for a Funeral or a Wedding or
private party in an upscale neighborhood.

There are always good gigs for Good bands that go hustle for them
however they do have to not only work hard to find and secure them but
they also have to beat off all the wannabes and hobbyists who would
undercut them if they could find the client.

Sorry guys but those are the Facts of Life, and this has been going on
for a lot longer than I have been in the business.

Bottom line is if you have a very good product to sell and you
diligently go about searching out the clients with the money and means
to buy it you will get those kind of gigs, which will also allow you to
play those senior centers and charitable gigs for less if need be on
the off nights and afternoons or evenings that do not interfere with
your better paying gigs.

If anybody wants to know how much your band and services really are
worth, go make a deal with a nice room, that allows you to have the
door and they take the food and beverage.  Charge $.500 or $10.00 like
Richard Redmond is doing in S. California, and promote it and advertise
it and see how many people will actually show up to hear you play.
That will give you a pretty good idea what your band and services are
really worth.   If you get a 100 or more people to show up you can do
the math, if you get mom and your sister you are in big trouble.  :))
To build a following for your band play some local community events
like wine and art festivals etc. or anything that draws a lot of
people.   The first time take whatever they will pay you to get in
front of "their" audience.   If you can stop them and get them to
listen to you and buy some Cds, or cassettes, and ask for business
cards you can book future gigs at whatever you can negotiate, also get
all the email and snail mail addresses and names that you can, follow
up with a newsletter telling them that you were happy to meet them at
the Blah Blah Blah festival and hope to see them again at one of your
future gigs.   NETWORK, talk to people, shake hands, communicate and
you will be very surprised in about a year how big a following you will
have , IF your band is really any good and they like you.   If it does
not happen go back and work at Mc Donald's or whatever you do to
support yourself and leave the field to better bands.   But You have to
Promote and advertise Your product continuously because the folks who
buy your entertainment do not do this every day of the week like we try
to, and more than likely will not remember you or even think about you
again until a week before their event again next year.  You have to
keep in front of them and make yourself a polite Priority.

The article I posted a couple of days ago pretty much sets the stage
for the minimum you should look for if you just do the math,  a fifty
dollar gig means you are working for about $8.33 an hour less taxes  I
think it came out to or basically paying to Play.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins