[Dixielandjazz] It was nevere easy - was -Why American's Don't Like Jazz

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 00:31:27 PDT 2007

Unfortunately Yes Steve there are many more of them than you would
imagine
who do believe it and don't hire Jazz bands because they visualize the
outcome
as being what they saw and heard on the Welk show.  A one and a Two and
a.....

Much of Dixieland music came about the same way, which has homogenized
  the music and watered it down so far that schlep is the now considered
normal
when one mentions dixieland music.  Hence the old term close enough for
Jazz,

Well to some of us it ain't close enough and never has been.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
damn and I was going to lay off and lurk for a while,  Ok don't anybody
answer my rants tonight,
so I don't have to defend my opinions for a week.

What passed for jazz was peppy dance music with an 8 bar solo in the
middle
of an arrangement. Yeah, I know, Whiteman had all these jazz soloists,
but
they were buried in a 60 piece Orchestra, and had limited solo space.
Kind
of like Lawrence Welk who had Pete Fountain, then Peanuts Hucko, and, of
course, Bob Havens (for a lot of years) in his band. Anybody think
Welk's
big band was a jazz band because of them?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone