[Dixielandjazz] Why American Don't like Jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 4 18:27:57 PDT 2007

True, Marek, one need not agree with Ellington. He said a lot during his
lifetime and much was tongue in cheek.

The Polish situation you describe is like the "Jazz Age" here in the USA
during the 1920s. Virtually all dance music was called jazz. Most jazz heads
today would say it was not jazz, but rather a peppy instrumental pop.

Else we'd all be playing Paul Whiteman arrangements today and saying that he
was the most influential jazzman of the first half of the 20th Century.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone