[Dixielandjazz] Mills Brothers dixieland?

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 2 21:01:06 PDT 2007

DJMLers--
     Last night i watched the "Soundies" TV special on PBS (great
stuff, by the way), and one of the 3-minute (or so) clips was of the
Mills Brothers, who were always one of my favorite groups.
     That got me to thinking (rarely a good thing, in my experience)
and wondering if any of the Mills Brothers arrangements or style of
singing has ever been played by dixieland/jazz bands.  Or, in fact,
if any barbershop-quartet styles have ever been played by dixieland
bands.  Seems like a good fit.  There's only one band i can think of
offhand that has done barbershop songs, and that's the old Kings of
Dixieland, with Matty Matlock, Red Callender, etc. (most, if not all,
of which i have).
     But anyway, have any of the Mills Brothers type of arrangements
even been done by dixieland bands?

     Dan
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "For a bad hangover, take the juice of two quarts of
**      whiskey."  --  Eddie Condon