[Dixielandjazz] More Jazz Musicians who carried Guns.

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Mon Apr 2 09:33:51 PDT 2007

He was in several bands in the early days that were Kansas City area
units, and he years later lived in KC and worked for the Civil
Aeronautics Administration (today's FAA) and was a pilot for many yeara,
as was my dad. He had an early connection with Kansas City before
striking on his own and then to Goldkette and Whiteman.
He recruited my dad to go to work for the CAA as an instructor just
before the was started, when dad had left Weems in California. Dad
worked at Santa Monica CAA office first then Washington D.C., then left
CAA to take air force commission doing the same type of work but flunked
the final eye exam. At 38 he was just old enough to be dropped from the
draft with the eyes as well, so he joined Spike Jones (1943), and was on
the first ever USO tour of France after D-Day with that band.
I met Trambauer once when I was sitting in with Red Nichols at Lyman's
in LA. Red was my mentor and first teacher, and Red asked Tram if he
knew who that young "kid" playing with the band was. When he told him,
Tram came up to tell me how much he remembered dad from the Detroit
days, It was a moment well etched in Memories (I was 20 so it had to be
'51.)
Tram's son was with the Kansas City Symphony and a top rate professional
player -- trumpet I seem to recall.
Another player of the Bix-Tram period knocked on the door one day asking
to see Red. I called dad to meet the visitor, and got the surprise of my
life. It was Itzie Riskin, fine piano man from both Goldkette and
Whiteman days and recorded with Bix as well. He had moved fromt he east
to take a job as a vocal coach with MGM and heard that dad lived in the
Valley and looked him up. This teen Bixophile sat dropped-jawed as
Riskin and my dad spun tales of their shared past. It was something a
then 15-year old also remembers well. Over the years I've  added
meetings with Paul Mertz, Chauncy Morehouse, Bill Rank, Spiegle Willcox,
and others from the Detroit and Whiteman bands. One lucky guy in the
right place, with the right fatherly connections, and a lot of things to
remember as thoughts are triggered here on the list.