[Dixielandjazz] More Jazz Musicians who carried Guns.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Apr 2 08:35:13 PDT 2007

As my dad was growing up in a small town in central Missouri the whole
family went everywhere armed.  That included my grandfathers third wife who
carried two 38's.  (What a man, he wore out three)  These short barrel
hammerless S&W 38's are highly concealable

My dad carried a 38 smith and Wesson hammerless everyday to school.  In the
period of time between the first world war and the 1930's there was very
little law in small towns.  My grandfather was a merchant owning a garage,
three stores, a bottling and ice cream works.  In that time people depended
on credit to live from the merchants and ran bills.  There were no
collection agencies and if a merchant wanted to be paid, people had to know
that he might come after them.  Unfortunately people had a very low opinion
of bankers and merchants at that time.  This is why the gangsters like
Bonnie and Clyde got away with what they did for so long.  They had the
protection of the people.  The same with Jessie James.  Times were a lot
different.

When my dad was in the 8th or 9th grade the thing went off in his pocket and
the bullet went down his leg and came out his knee.  The only one who ever
shot anyone was one of my Uncles who shot a guy who came up behind my grand
father with a piece of stove wood.  The kids spread a rumor that he had shot
his nuts off.  Not true or I wouldn't be writing this right now if it were.

My dad quit carrying a gun in 1927 when he came to St. Louis because it was
safer in the big city.  My how times have changed.

But before anyone misses too many notes or plays out of tune around me I
still own that 38.
Larry Walton
St. Louis