[Dixielandjazz] Jackie Coon R.I.P.

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Sun Apr 1 15:23:40 PDT 2007

My memories of Jackie Coon are good ones, from the time he and I both
were in late teens--early 20's and used to come to Club 47 in Studio
City to hear the jam session with the likes of Matty Matlock, Eddie
Miiler, John Best, and other studio guys that came to sit in to keep
jazz chops up after all studio work. They were like mentors to both of
us. Jackie was a phenom early on. In late years he preferred to play
pfluegal horn most of the time, but I remember the wonderful fat and
warm cornet sound he got.
He worked at the Hangover with a group of Jerry Fuller, Jack Perciful,
Charlie Lodice, Ira Wesley and I hung around just to hear his wonderful
flow of ideas, He always was a melodic and lyrical player and a gentle
soul on stand or off. He had a passel of kids -- I lost count the last
time I heard. His brother gene was the producer of the original Maverick
TV show with Jim Garner.
I imagine that Charlie Lodice can tell some tales as well. Jackie worked
at Disneyland, and I caught him once in a suit, shaved, beardless with
his hair left gray and wearing a tie -- so unlike his beach boys
dressage of later - on the Lawrence Welk show, introduced as a guest.
Never saw him there again.
This is really a bit of bad news. Each month to brings me the peeling
off of a part of my life as friends pass on. Not to be unexpected. Hey,
at 76 I'm just happy to be around. but my old circle of LA area friends
of younger days are starting to drop off. It started with Gene Estes,
who I played with thought jr. and senior high with and worked with
later. Another high schcool Bud Matlock, Matty's Son and a fine
guitarist who was a speed walker contestant and in great health until
something burst in his head.
Last time I saw Jackie was in Sacro Fest-- he was with Jake Stock. We
had a good catch up chat. He was one beautiful player, a good friend,
and he will be missed very much by this fellow, and many others as well.
Take a well earned five, good friend,
and catch you later.
Don Ingle