[Dixielandjazz] Lawrence Welk Plays Dixieland

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 30 18:29:15 PDT 2006

Dear Friends,
Here I am ASKING a discographal question for a change.
I recently acquired the Australian Coral LP (CL-76090) 'Lawrence Welk Plays
Dixieland' (featuring some wonderful Pete Fountain) which was based on the
popular dixie segment on Welk's television series. I believe that it was
recorded in 1956.
Great stuff and a real eye-opener to me.
How come I missed this one years ago?
Can anyone provide full details?
Personnel, dates, location, etc.
Our clarinet player, Jack Wiard, told me yesterday that ex-Jimmy Dorsey
sideman George Thow is one of the two trumpet players on the LP.
One of them  even sounds a bit like Wild Bill Davison in the last chorus
breaks of "China Boy".
I seem to recall that this record was mentioned some years ago on the DJML,
but could be wrong.
Kind regards,
Bill.