[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Styles

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 29 18:04:00 PDT 2006

on 9/29/06 6:00 PM, Cees van den Heuvel at heu at bart.nl wrote:

> I.m.o.( I'm learning..:)) it's not a question of styles. It's a question
> of attitude. Do you want to recreate the past or do
> you want to climb on the shoulders of the giants,
> and create new things to honour them.
>
> Cees van den Heuvel
> http://www.revivaljassband.nl

Careful now Cees, you'll get us started on creation of new things to honor
the giants which will lead from Louis to Bix to Dizzy to Fats to Brownie to
Miles to ? Or from Pee Wee Russell to Gerry Mulligan to Buddy DeFranco to
Tony Scott to Eddie Daniels to ? :-) VBG.

Your point is well taken, at least by me. As a young jazz musician friend
playing "World Music" said to me. "What you do is fine because you are not
trying to make a statement. But what I am trying to do is make a statement."

He felt that in order for jazz to progress as a musical form, it must
change. Same for classical, or any other musical form as far as he was
concerned. He may not be wrong.

Hasn't OKOM changed stylistically in a loose, 50 year, chronological
sequence. From N.O. Uptown, to White N.O. to New Orleans Downtown, to Hot
Dance, to Chicago, to San Francisco Revival (juiced up Downtown N.O.), to
New York Nicksieland, to British Trad. Where will it go next? Or did it stop
progressing? And if so, why? Is there no Condon or Lu or Chris among us?

Who will create the new Dixieland to honor the past giants?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Cheers,
Steve Barbone