[Dixielandjazz] You're famous

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 29 15:20:36 PDT 2006

Dear Bob,
I didn't realise how famous you have become internationally.
Probably nor did you.
Well, maybe not you personally. Just your name!
8>)
Late last night I watched on the National Australian TV channel (the ABC) an
episode of the new British half-hour series 'Sensitive Skin' featuring
actress Joanna Lumley of 'Absolutely Fabulous' fame.
It's a laid back comedy show with great throwaway lines and subtle humour.
Lumley is the gorgeous middle-aged manager of an art gallery and her husband
is a hack writer.
Last night a famous, but lecherous, 'older' writer back home in England from
the US, meets and falls for Lumley's character 'Davina' at the opening of an
art exhibition at the gallery.
His name (mentioned frequently throughout) is - ta da - Robert (Bob)
Ringwald.
However, the additional knockout for me was the band, heard off-screen, at
the exhibition. They played "Salty Dog" in the first scene and "Careless
Love" in another scene.
It very sounded very familiar to me.
Eventually my memory kicked in and I realised that they had used the George
Lewis Riverside recording with George Lewis, cl; Alton Purnell, p; Lawrence
Marrero, bj; Alcide "Slow Drag" Pavageau, sb; & Edmond "Doc" Souchon, v on
"Careless Love". New Orleans, 25 Sept 1953.
I just thought that I would mention it.
UK DJMLers will have had an opportunity to see the show on the BBC late last
year. I assume US listmates will need to check out their local PBS channel
(or whatever it is called).
Kind regards,
Bill.