[Dixielandjazz] Chris Barber

Marek Boym nmboym at 012.net.il
Fri Sep 29 09:34:28 PDT 2006

Hello Lismates,
I'm seeking help re. a Chris Barber CD I've been given by a friend, with no information whatsoever, except that it's called "Petit Fleur."
It is a 19-song compilation covering many years of Barberiana, ranging from the sublime (for exanmple - "Hushabye," even if I would consider it a Monty Sunshine rather than Barber recording, of "Mood Indigo") to the mundane.  Some cuts represent the worst excesses of British Trad, something I've never identified with Barber (I have quite a few records of Barber, and love them all).  The tunes are:
Petit Fleur, The Saints (with Ottilie Patterson), Hushabye, April Showers, (a subdued) Sweet Georgia Brown, a standard (recorded live) I could hum but could not identify the title), High Society, another standard (same comment), Bourbon St. Parade, Trouble in Mind (Patterson), Everybody Likes My Baby, Jailhouse Blues (Patterson), "When You and I Were Young, Maggie", Bill Bailey, Beale St. Blues (Patterson), Mood Indigo, a break-neck tempo You Rascal You, Bye and Bye, and something I believe to be Canal St. Blues (live).  I have not marked all the "live" tracks, but there more.
Cheers