[Dixielandjazz] The Red Sea Jazz Festival-2007

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Fri Sep 29 05:11:11 PDT 2006

Shalom Jazz Fans,

Say Bob and Tom,

I must have been brain dead from the midnight bus ride and all night jam
session, but it occurs to me I should have given you guys some of my
business cards, for Israelis who wanted to know where they can hear more
jazz like that. Now I admit Dr Jazz is not yet on a par with the Ambassadors
... yet. But we can deliver good danceable jazz in a variety of styles, and
we're getting better with each performance.

I just came home from playing banjo in downtown Jerusalem on the pedestrian
mall during the noon hour today, and yesterday evening. On solo banjo I
don't get mobbed like the Ambassadors did, though I am arguably as cute as
all those guys are. But people do respond well to my music, and I don't know
how many times I was asked where is the band. Yes, Israelis do like our jazz
when they hear it, especially the young folks. But the powers that be shove
the modern stuff down their throats via every available medium. And the trad
camp doesn't yet have enough players or audience to reach critical mass. But
we will!

For anyone interested, I put a couple of clips on You Tube from my solo
session on banjo and vocals yesterday. Here are the links:

5 Foot 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjgqS09FSKk
Alexander's Ragtime Band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A4JtzSJ83M
Toot Toot Tootsie/California Here I come:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NQjBOQuUw4

So whoever would like to play for adoring young audiences, grab your ax
(don't call it an ax in the airport!) and get on over here, and we'll put
you to work. I can't guarantee paying gigs, but I can arrange memorable
opportunities to play.

Happy new year to my landsmen on the list,

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble
Jerusalem, Israel