[Dixielandjazz] Search engine keywords for OKOM

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Thu Sep 28 12:46:18 PDT 2006

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:44:23 EDT
From: Gluetje1 at aol.com
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] The Red Sea Jazz Festival-2007
Hi Bob,
Are you saying below that there are no CDs being made today by any  groups
that are representative of the music Tom Wiggins band provided at the Red
Sea
Jazz Festival?  I'm asking because you said you could only tell them to
search
for "early, hot, New Orleans Jazz".  I just tried those exact words  in a
keyword search and indeed the first entry I got was the Red Hot Jazz
Archive.
No entries in the first few that came up to any current working  groups.
I'm
stewing over this one as it seems if we want the younger set  to give a
listen
there needs to be something current to suggest they "give a  listen" to.
Ginny

HI GINNY!

This is too important not to mention. Those of you with Web sites need to
have your Webmaster build into your site some specific keywords that will
aid anyone doing a cyber search.

In the encoding, under ³meta name,² you can enter keywords as well as a
description that will appear on the ³search results² page. In addition to
Romans¹ suggestions of ³early, hot, New Orleans jazz,² you should include
words that best describe the style of your band, and even include names of
famous musicians who have played the same style. Maybe even include ³Great
American Songbook² or particular composers¹ names.

I have used BUTCH THOMPSON¹s Web site as an example before because it¹s so
complete. Here I am using it again as an example of how to assign keywords
and a desccription to your own site:

   meta name="keywords" content="Butch Thompson, jazz pianist, Prairie Home
   Companion, traditional jazz, New Orleans jazz, Butch Thompson Trio,
   blues piano, traditional jazz piano, stride piano, vintage American
music,
   Jelly Roll Morton, Scott Joplin, ragtime, early jazz, Fats Waller"

   meta name="description" content="The official website of jazz pianist
Butch
   Thompson. You'll find many pages of resources for presenters and fans
alike."

And if you don¹t have a Web site yet, maybe now is the time.
Best wishes to all!

Love and hugs,
Nancy