[Dixielandjazz] Bob Havens recording?

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 28 08:18:28 PDT 2006

Phil and DJML--
     Unfortunately, the recording you mention appears not to be the
same one as i have.  I was listening to it again yesterday, and both
the M.C. "Dr. Lawless" and Bob Higgins quite clearly say that this is
a Sunday afternoon concert with "Jay St. John" playing clarinet.
Furthermore, none of the songs on this recording is "Keepin' Out of
Mischief Now" nor "Tishomingo Blues", so i conclude that the
recording i have is not Blue Angel BAJC510.  At one point Higgins
says that they've gotten lots of requests for certain songs by mail,
which makes me think that this might be a radio-broadcast of a
concert from somewhere in Southern California, from before 1982.
     So i'm stumped.  I guess it could be from a private recording
that was never published.  I'm going to go back to the guy who gave
it to me and put his toes in the fire and see if i can get some
better answers.
     Thanks to Lowell Busching for a couple of fascinating posts about
the Poor Angel Jazz Society.  I also (privately) heard from Bob Taber
about it, and i (like he) feel that the recordings from those
concerts would make great listening, if only someone would publish
them.
     Maybe we could simply ask Bob Havens if he remembers this concert
and group of players.  Does anyone have his email-address?
Apparently he's not playing with Jim Cullum, because Cullum's website
doesn't mention him anywhere.  I guess that deal fell through.  Pity.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
** "Education, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from
**  from the foolish their lack of understanding." -- Ambrose Bierce