[Dixielandjazz] FW: Condon Style

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Sep 28 02:24:07 PDT 2006

>The sound of Condon's band of the 1950s is always what I have in my mind
for the perfect >band ensemble sound.

There have been two posts making the above comment, and expressing surprise
at someone saying that "ensemble work" was not the main aim of the band, or
words to that sort.

I suspect that Steve was probably comparing Condon's style vs. the U.S. West
Coast style fashioned after Lu Watters, where the band plays few or even no
solos.  I doubt if he meant that the Condon band had no ensemble work to
speak of.

A band can have very intricate head ensemble arrangements (where a sit-in
would be completely lost!), but be more based around the solos of the
individual musicians.

Jim