[Dixielandjazz] Condon Style

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 28 02:13:34 PDT 2006

Grah Martin posted the following in a reply to Steve Barbone:

"I have seen the comment about "Much less emphasis on ensemble", or similar
words, in many of the critiques of Eddie Condon's band but I was a little
surprised to see Steve use it. I really wonder if it is true? The sound of
Condon's band of the 1950s is always what I have in my mind for the perfect
band ensemble sound. I guess I am particularly thinking of a Wild Bill,
Cutty Cutshall, Pee Wee (or Ed Hall) frontline combination. Wild Bill laying
down a driving lead, Cutty always playing great connecting lines and
rhythmic phrases, and Pee Wee ducking in and out and over the top. Behind
them, a truly wonderful rhythm section that equalled the swing and
excitement of the All-American rhythm section" (if fact, Walter Page was in
both). Then there are the only seeming 'out of control' climaxes of those
last choruses. Plus the superb Tags!
Sure the solos are the tops. But to me the ensemble is perfectly structured
with exactly the right emphasis!"

Dear Graham,
I wish I had written that reply.
Sorry Steve.