[Dixielandjazz] Condon Style

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Sep 26 20:48:46 PDT 2006

Bill Haesler wrote:

>>Don't need to duplicate Condon.<
>>

>Dear Steve,
>WHAT?
>Did you mean what I think you meant?
>That Eddie Condon, as a musician, is not worth listening to?
>Surely not?
>Or were you just teasing us to see who jumped the highest?
>Over the years, the myth of Condon's inadequate or nearly silent musical
>contribution to his records has built up and is still parroted by
>cloth-eared, ill-informed critics and some one-eyed mouldy old record
>collectors, because he rarely soloed. (Like Freddy Green.)
>Musicians I have spoken to including Wild Bill, Bud Freeman, Kenny Davern
>and Jack Lesberg, all attested to Condon's ability as an accurate,
>listening, swinging guitar player. Always a delight to have behind you
>musically.
>He could be heard by all on stage and to those who listened carefully to the
>overall sound of his live groups. Which is really what matters with our
>music.
>He also cuts through on most of the Columbia recordings, if one listens for
>him.
>Eddie Condon, the respected organiser and wise-cracking front man was also a
>fine and respected musician.
>Unfortunately, we may never see his like again.
>Kind regards,
>Bill.
>PS: You wouldn't suggest that there is no need to duplicate the great Pee
>Wee Russell.
>Would you?
>Bill.

He played tenor guitar which has in itself a wonderfully warm and simple
sound. Charlie MArshall, lat eof WI now out west somewhere, and Howard
Elkins with Cullum also played tenor. It is a grea tsound in a rhythem
section. Condon got more rhythem out of four strings than some got with six.
You'll nevernhearnmenbad-mouthing his value to our native art form
called Chicago Jazz. And that comes from a native Chicagoan!
Don Ingle