[Dixielandjazz] Condon Style

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 26 15:27:20 PDT 2006

Now that's a problem as Condon used various different instrument
combinations in his many bands. The Condon gang included at least 40
different musicians and some bands had a tenor sax, some not. Some had valve
trombone, some not, some female vocalist, some not. etc.

The style is pretty straightforward. SOLOIST emphasis in a free blowing band
of relaxed musicians. Much less emphasis on ensemble. Mostly head
arrangements. Swing based rhythm. Lots of booze and conversation on the
stand among friends who were hep when it was hip to  be hep.

Don't need to duplicate Condon.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

on 9/26/06 6:01 PM, Russ Guarino at russg at redshift.com wrote:

> The first step in duplicating the Condon style is to set up the band with the
> same instrumentation.
>
> Russ Guarino
>
> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
>> RoddyTpt at aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hiya!
>>
>>> have been asked into a band of the above style....could someone point me to
>>> an album that quintissentially displays the above style accurately...the
>>> description is not mine....
>>
>> One of the best recordings of this style is the Mosaic re-issue. 5  CDs of
>> superb Eddie Condon with a variety of musicians in addition to him.
>> Including Cutshall, McGarity, Hall, Wilber, Hucko, Butterfield, Wild Bill
>> Davison, Hackett, Wettling, Schroeder and on and on.
>>
>> Condon left a HUGE recorded legacy all of which is "Condon Style". Much of
>> it is still available.
remainder snipped.