[Dixielandjazz] philosofy?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Sep 26 13:30:27 PDT 2006

Re: the less important notes

I think all E flats should be left out when written as D#.  The alternative
is to take it up an octave and leave it out.  Many routinely play B# as a
silent note using a slight grunt instead.  Very effective in Latin music.
That's why they write a B# on the end of their tunes so the band will shout
Ugh! at the right time.  Occasionally they write an E# and someone hollers
Tequila!  These are little known Latin notes made popular by Xavier Cugat.
Larry