[Dixielandjazz] Listening and Hearing

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 23:27:45 PDT 2006

Steve,
I "listen" with my ears.
I "hear" with my heart.
Love  and hugs,
Nancy

> From: Steve Barbone
> Subject:  Transcribing Solos
>
> Transcribing helped me considerably to  actually "hear" what I was listening
> to. It is one thing to like what  one listens to, but IMHO, it is another
> matter entirely to really  "hear" what one listens to. And I suspect that
> many other musicians  can differentiate between listening and "hearing"
> because musicians,  again IMO, hear differently than non-musicians.

Ah, Nancy - very flowery words, but not really applicable to what Steve is
talking about.
I think your statement would be more in the line of a fan talking, rather
than a musician who is studying, practicing or transcribing.  Many people
listen to music of any kind. They do it for enjoyment.
 In this case (transcribing or even studying), hearing becomes a very
intellectual endeavor.  When I listen to someone play and I love what they  are
doing, that can truly be "from the heart." (At this point I am a  fan too.....)
But when I am hearing properly to transcribe a solo or a  tune head or
whatever, I am hearing with my brain and analyzing what is going  on.  That kind of
hearing is much more involved than just listening.   This kind of hearing also
comes into play when practicing properly.
I guess this is a complicated way of saying that hearing can be for
enjoyment or for work, but it is definitely more involved than just  listening.
Mike Vax