[Dixielandjazz] For the trumpet players

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 25 11:58:24 PDT 2006

A message from the International Trumpet Network re: The Maynard Ferguson
memorial concert in St. Louis last Wed. Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 18:02:35

Subject: Re: TPIN Maynard Concert

Scott and I were in St. Louis Wednesday night.  It was incredible.  I am so
happy I attended.  The evening was incredibly emotional and I cried pretty
much all night long.  The venue was sold out (I think it holds around 1700)
and the show was recorded for a DVD.  The show opened with a photo montage
of Maynard and a recording of Maynard playing Darn That Dream (it was
recorded just two months ago).  Wayne Bergeron nailed the snot out of
everything all night long as did Roger Ingram and Eric Miyashiro.  There
were video interviews shown of Chris Botti, Arturo, and Paul Schaffer.  Stan
Mark played The Way We Were and cried. I wasn't close to the stage, but
those who were said they could see the tears streaming down his face and
onto the stage.  That would have killed me if I saw that.

The finale was Rocky, and all of the alumni trumpets in attendance came up
and played. There were about 30 trumpet players up there at the end.  After
they played, a picture of Maynard was on the big screen behind them and
everyone on stage turned to it and started clapping.  Maynard's manager
brought out Maynard's trumpet and set it on the stage where Maynard would
have been.

The concert ended with the stage going dark and the spotlight on Maynard's
trumpet.  It was a three and a half hour emotional concert.  There were many
highlights. I'm sure others who were there will chime in.  If they don't and
you want more info, let me know.  Some of the trumpet players playing that
night:

Wayne Bergeron
Eric Miyashiro
Roger Ingram