[Dixielandjazz] JazzAscona

Luca Martinelli luca.martinelli at maggiore.ch
Mon Sep 25 01:32:51 PDT 2006

JazzAscona @ the Palm Court Café in New Orleans next October 4
160'000 USD collected for New Orleans by the Swiss jazz festival

ASCONA, Switzerland - A good 160'000 USD raised in 12 months. That's the proceeds from the SOS New Orleans Jazz Heritage collection launched September of 2005 in support of New Orleans musicians stricken by Hurricane Katrina by "JazzAscona New Orleans & Classics", one of the most important European Festival dedicated to the music of the Crescent City, which takes place every summer in Ascona, Switzerland. The collection was an enormous success and was endorsed by singer Lillian Boutté, ringleader of the operation. Hundreds donated: public offices, associations, agencies and above all numerous jazz fans from all over Switzerland and Europe.

Parts of the collected funds have already been assigned to individual musicians and to public initiatives such as the New Orleans Musicians' Clinic, the Arabi Wrecking Krewe, and the Kate Middleton Elementary School. The greater slice of the aid will be distributed in the next 12 months.

Nicolas Gilliet, 34 year old Director of JazzAscona, thanks all the contributors for having so generously expressed their solidarity with New Orleans; Gilliet knows the city very well, having lived there before. "Our effort - he says - is small in the face of the intense need and the enormous losses caused by Katrina. Still, we are proud of being able to contribute, in our own small way, to alleviating some of the suffering and giving back a bit of hope to a city that we greatly love for its people, its culture, its colours and naturally its music" .

At the one-year mark of the disaster, daily difficulties in New Orleans remain enormous. "For this reason we have decided to continue the collection for at least another year", says Director Nicolas Gilliet. New initiatives will be announced shortly.

"JazzAscona New Orleans & Classics" is internationally known as one of the most important New Orleans music festival in Europe. It takes place every June in Ascona, Switzerland, and attracts about 80'000 jazz fans from Switzerland, Germany, Italy, France and England. The shadow of Hurricane Katrina, marked the 2006 Edition (22nd). The Festival hosted a record number of musicians and guests from New Orleans (more than 50!), and presented a remarkable series of events dedicated to the "Crescent City". Internationally acclaimed vocalist Lillian Boutté won the 2006 Ascona Jazz Award which has been presented to her; it rewards the singer for her profuse efforts in support of the victims of Katrina in her role as World Ambassador of New Orleans Music and godmother of the SOS New Orleans Jazz Heritage Fund.

'JazzAscona in New Orleans' next October 4

This coming October 4, at the Palm Court Cafe, JazzAscona New Orleans & Classics will organize a very special evening, during which numerous New Orleans musicians will be performing. "This will be our way of underscoring and reinforcing the strong ties that unite Ascona to New Orleans, and concretely expressing our support to the New Orleans musical scene", says Director Gilliet.

A small delegation from Ascona, including the Press Director for the Tourism Board in Ascona & Region, Mr. Luca Martinelli, will be at the event to present an official message from Ascona to the authorities of New Orleans.
The concert begins at 8 pm. Tables can be reserved at Tel: 504.525.0200.

Performers:

Trumpets: DUKE HEITGER, GREGG STAFFORD, CLIVE WLISON, LIONEL FERBOS Tenor sax: DANIEL FARROW
Trombone: LESTER CALISTE
Piano: LARS EDEGRAN, JOHN ROYEN, DAVID BOEDDINGHOUSE
Banjo/bass: DON VAPPIE
Bass: BERNIE ATTRIDGE
Drums: FRANK OXLEY, ERNEST ELLY, HERLIN RILEY
Vocals: JUANITA BROOKS, THAIS CLARK, BARBARA SHORTS

A second concert evening with other musicians will be presented (October 5) at Donna's Bar and Grill, a spot located in Rampart Street and especially appreciated by jazz lovers of the Delta City.

Best wishes

Luca Martinelli
JazzAscona New Orleans & Classics
luca at jazzascona.ch

JazzAscona 2007
June 22 - July 1
www.jazzascona.com

SOS New Orleans Jazz Heritage
Please support the solidarity campaign of JazzAscona in favour of the musicians in New Orleans, which have been effected by the hurricane Katrina. For more information please visit our web site: www.jazzascona.com