[Dixielandjazz] OKOM and Whisky in Scotland

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Sep 24 20:45:38 PDT 2006

Tom Duncan wrote:

>I will be traversing the Whisky Trial in Scotland in October, from Edinburgh
>through Speyside and Oban to Islay and wish that Don Ingle and others who
>have expressed profound affection for the malt could join me. Seems to be
>pretty sparse pickings up there and at that time for OKOM, but can anyone
>suggest a web site or recommend a venue to hear (and play . . Have horn,
>will travel) OKOM. http://www.jazz-in-scotland.co.uk/ doesn't help on the
>OKOM front.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tom "Louis may have sung Irish Black Bottom, but he was a Scot at heart . .
>see http://www.armstrong.org/ " Duncan
>201-836-6076
>www.doctordubious.com
>doctordubious at verizon.net

Och, nae - I kenna join ye, laddy. What a dream trip that would be. I
love the Spey malts, particularly Cardhu, Aberlour, my "breakfast"
drams. On Islay I would go for the Bowmore and Lagavulin in a blink. I
recently had a very decent malt from the Isle of Jura called
"Superstition," a  mix of two of their malts, one peaty and the other
less salty and it made a very smooth taste.
So many distilleries, so little time, so much distance. On your way out
of  Edinburgh, should you pass through Auchendinny, give a wave for a Yankee
descendant of that fair hamlet. My father did get to visit there on a
British tour in 1951, but I only got as close as England owing to lack
of time between there and Germany-Holland-Denmark trout in '79.
So, think of me as you taste the source of all that barley hootch. I am
SO jealous.
Slainte.m'hath, Tommy,
and have a few sips for me.
Don  Ingle