[Dixielandjazz] FW: Half a million people can't be wrong!

Brian Harvey brer.rabbit at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 00:47:59 PDT 2006

The Hot Jazz Channel internet traditional jazz radio station has just
chalked up an amazing milestone.

It's logged its half millionth listener.

This is thought to be a record for an internet jazz show.

Started just twelve months ago by computer wizard John Booth and jazz writer
& journalist Brian Harvey, this completely uncommercial station broadcasts a
new eighteen track one and a half hour show every month. The show is
available
worldwide 24-hours a day seven days a week and regularly attracts
enthusiastic audiences of over 50,000.

"I was frustrated with the lack of our kind of music in both public service
and commercial broadcasts" said Brian. "There are thriving traditional and
mainstream jazz scenes in many parts of the world but the musicians within
them and the record companies that serve them are virtually ignored by
mainstream broadcasters. The Arts Council in Britain for example is
convinced that jazz began in the 1940s with Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie
Parker and not in New Orleans with Buddy Bolden at the turn of the 19th
century."

He continued "with the very active help of musicians like Chris Barber, and
bands like that of the Bob Crosby Bobcats, the Jim Cullum Jazz Band, the
Cell Block Seven Jazzband and many record companies we have been able to
show that there is a large worldwide audience for good traditional and
mainstream jazz. Our aim through the show is to help keep the music alive
and to spread the word that it may be a hundred years old but it's still
being played. And - all that people have to do is get out there and find it.
We hope that they will".