[Dixielandjazz] Half a million people can't be wrong!

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 23 13:04:45 PDT 2006

Lifted Snip:
In a message dated 9/23/2006 12:33:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

The Arts  Council in Britain for example is
> convinced that jazz began in the  1940s with Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie
> Parker and not in New Orleans  with Buddy Bolden at the turn of the 19th
> century."

Attended a Jazz Improv Workshop At Webster Univ. this a.m.  Expected  the
attendance to be mostly high schoolers and the workshop about bop.  It  was.
They had a handout entitled, "Historically Significant  Recordings".  All of them
are from the bebeop era forward--oh wait, I see  one Count Basie, "The
Complete Atomic Basie", and one Ellington (with  Mingus, Roach).  They do include a
caveat that the earlier recordings are  of poor sound quality, or are not
available on CD or "the artists recorded lots  of material and are represented by
later recordings elsewhere on this  list."
Ginny