[Dixielandjazz] More on Red Nichols' Youtube Vitaphone item.

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sat Sep 23 07:19:21 PDT 2006

I'm not really sure when the practice began, but if you look really
carefully at the big band one-reelers of the 30s and 40s, those are
pre-recorded.  The place where you can see this, of course, is during the
improvised solos, particularly of pianists, at least for me because that's
what I used to play, but I've also noticed horn players breathing when there
is sound still coming out of their horns, etc.

I know this practice came not long after talkies started, but the Nichols
short is pretty good evidence that it might have happened sometime during
1929, at least at Warner Brothers-First National.

BTW, how did Condon's guitar suddenly turn into a banjo while he sang?????

Hal Vickery