[Dixielandjazz] Fw: "I Can't escape From You" --info

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 23 05:27:27 PDT 2006

 An answer to my question about San Jacinto Stomp/ "I Can't Escape From You"

As the info I got from Bill Haesler (and, indirectly, Ingemar Wagerman)
might be interesting to others I am attaching Bill's complete answer.

Thanks Bill (and Ingemar).   Sadly the Anderson Book includes the
Whiting tune, but not the  Hawkins composition. There are a number of
these same title/wrong tune "twists" in the Anderson book, unfortunately.

Unfortunately, Kid Thomas also used the incorrect title when he recorded
this
and some of the discographies  listed on the web, even those of Geo Lewis
also use the wrong title as well as listing "San Jacinto Stomp".
I figured the culprit was probably Bunk. He did this more than once.

So,,,,,
Again I ask, does anyone have the lead sheet for the San Jacinto Stomp
or the Hawkins original composition - "You Can't Escape From Me"?
I'd appreciate a copy if you have it. (Ingemar, are you there?)

 Thanks,
Craig Johnson
Cornet - The Maine Street Paraders
----------------------------------
> > Dear Craig,
> > This one is an oldie to us New Orleans 'revivalists'.
> > 8>)
> > Bunk Johnson started all the fuss when he recorded this tune for V-Disc
on
> 6
> > Jan 1946 and recalled the title as "I Can't Escape from You" (which was
> > 1936 hit for Leo Robins & Richard Whiting) when in fact he had played
the
> > Erskine Hawkins composition "You Can't Escape from Me" (recorded by him
on
> 2
> > Oct 1939).
> > Quite a few New Orleans jazzmen (including the white 'revivalists')
> followed
> > suit, using Bunk's incorrect title, and it has lead to confusion ever
> since.
> > On 17 Sept 2003 listmate Ingemar Wagerman of the fine Swedish band, The
> Gota
> > River Jazzmen, summed it up very well thus:
> >
> > ""I Can't Escape From You" is a tune composed by Richard A Whiting. It
was
> > recorded by Erskine Hawkins in 1936. This tune was a Bing Crosby hit,
also
> > recorded by Erroll Garner, Dexter Gordon and many other artists.
> > Three years later Hawkins recorded his own composition "You Can't Escape
> > From Me", which was recorded by George Lewis in 1944 under the name "San
> > Jacinto Stomp" (the first version at George's home, the other two at San
> > Jacinto Hall).
> > Bunk recorded it in January 1946 and called it "I Can't Escape From
You".
> > guess it was a mistake! After that a lot of NO revival bands have played
> it
> > under that name.
> > Kid Sheik and George Lewis used the proper name "You Can't Escape From
Me"
> > when they recorded it in 1961.
> > To make the story even more complicated: There is an "I Can't Escape
From