[Dixielandjazz] More on Red Nichols' Youtube Vitaphone item.

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 23 00:02:01 PDT 2006

After obvious notice of Red's ceasing to play yet his cornet continues
to play (1929 Milli Vanilli), I examined the short a little more
closely.  Now, to begin with, Condon's vocal could easily be
lip-synched.  But he did it wonderfully.  BOTH times.  And it's after
the second time I noticed that as he was sitting back down and grabbing
his banjo, he began strumming at exactly the moment the strumming began
on the film.  So, if he, too, was faking it, he faked it to perfection.

Which leads me to conjecture:  That, if the whole schmeer was
dub-synched, it was so ONLY AFTER it was actually recorded beforehand as
afterward filmed.  In other words, everyone knew their moves, in
particular Condon, who knew that he was to pick his banjo up at a
particular time and start strumming at a particular time, etc.  The only
thing left to explain is Red's pointless non-playing cornet playing.  My
only guess is, "Aw schidt! Did I do that?!"

Conjecturally your'n,
--
Etc,

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon, Vicar-general
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
Archdiocese of California
www.naorc.org