[Dixielandjazz] When is it not jazz?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Sep 22 10:00:43 PDT 2006

Well that's why it's not best to mix styles too much.  There are guys that
swing trad and I don't have a big issue about that because I sometimes do it
too just as  lot of bands add non traditional instruments like the Bass
Guitar.  It's true Jazz keeps getting re invented and the kids seem to like
it but it isn't what it was.  I cringe when someone freestyles the National
Anthem or takes liberties with it from Rose Ann to the local gal who is
trying to sound like someone who can sing.  I think Jazz rose and fell with
swing and became so different by the 60's that it was no longer Jazz as most
musicians know it.  What we used to call modern jazz is now becoming a
Classic style that when the performers die off will become quaint much as
what we call Trad Jazz is today.

> Well said Larry. The word "swing" can be used in many different senses.
> And
> while many early jazzers might have swung, their music didn't.
Well put.  I regard it as a compliment if someone especially another
musician says that about me.

Larry Walton
St. Louis