[Dixielandjazz] Bidding on jobs

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Sep 18 16:19:02 PDT 2006

Steve Barbone wrote:

>Someone asked a while back about bidding on jobs and no one answered so here
>is my 2 cents.

Here are my two centimes :

Sac à Pulses' standard contract is as follows (we are a quintet) :

- 2000€/event (we can be talked down to 1800€ for repeat clients,
multiple day gigs, gigs where we get some cool press coverage, or gigs
with other worthwhile perks);
- transpo expenses (I think it is 48 centimes per kilometer round trip);
- hot meals while we are onsite (if we are there for lunch and dinner,
we expect two hot meals);
- hotel (2star or better) with breakfast included (if the gig is over
200km from Clermont-Ferrand);
- plus a long list of things musos expect, but clients often overlook
like proper sound system, water and towels on stage, etc..

I have heard that our price is quite a bit higher than standard US
prices, but figure, that is why I am over here. Now, when an agent books
us, our price is 20% higher to the client. Sometimes, a second agent
will consult one of our regular agents and that agent will add 20% to
the overall price.

We do accept less for jazz festivals, but still get 1400€ to 2000€ per
concert and a lot of good press.

No, not all bands over here can command this price, but we have a
reputation and a show to back it up.

We play 5 to 10 marriages a year. After the château is rented and the
high end catering for 150 is contracted, our cost to the event is a drop
in the bucket.

All the best, Gary