[Dixielandjazz] No chordal Instrument - was Two horn front line

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 18 09:13:58 PDT 2006

on 9/18/06 10:27 AM, Gluetje1 at aol.com at Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote:

I don't see variant chord choices related to caliber of musicianship.
Instead relates to personal preference, ears, and preferences of members of
groups with whom the individual has most often done chords in the past.
Have heard from some outstanding professionals that when they are preparing
to record, the first, and very lengthy, discussion by the group is on what
chords will be used.  Chord rhythm players can also hear the horns
simultaneously playing off differing harmony assumptions and are faced with
having to make instant choices on "who/what" to follow, or to insist on
staying with the chord they played praying that the horns will hear and
follow.  There are musicians who can watch and follow another rhythm players
hands (scarce I think) or use one method or another to call chords.  But
this requires seating where this can happen.
Ginny

In a message dated 9/17/2006 9:11:23 P.M. Central Daylight Time,