[Dixielandjazz] American Federation of Jazz Societies Conference, Washington DC

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Sat Sep 16 23:11:58 PDT 2006

I have been at the AFJS conference for the past few days.  It has been  a
wonderful event and quite a bit has been done to get AFJS back "on track" and
doing some good things to help all of us promote jazz music.  The Capitol  Focus
youth band, led by Dave Robinson (Traditional Jazz Educators Network)
entertained at the reception on Thursday night and sounded great.
Today (Saturday) we were invited to the Potomac River Jazz Society's annual
picnic.  Lots of good music and food and comradery.  I had the  pleasure of
sitting with Buck Creek Jazz Band.  A wonderful bunch of guys,  who really cover
the gamut of traditional jazz.
If any of you want to find out what went on at the conference, I'm sure
there will be reports posted on the website _www.afjs.org_ (http://www.afjs.org)
(You can also get more  information on AFJS here.)
Mike Vax