[Dixielandjazz] dystonia

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 13 14:10:52 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Bill Sharp asks:

>Anyone else you DJMLers know of anyone else who suffered in their musical
>careers because of it [dystonia]?  And did they find a way to get rid of
>it?

As a washboardist of advancing age I have found that the delicate touch
required for the full range of expression on the washboard has become more
and more difficult for me to produce.

Thank heavens I now have a name for the affliction.

I have, however, found a remedy which usually works fine.  Instead of
putting delicate little thimbles on my fingertips and stroking the board
with them, I simply put on a set of brass knuckles and just hit the board
with my fist.

The beauty of this regimen is that most people don't notice the difference
and, in fact, many of the perceptive people in the audience have paused to
tell me how much my tone has improved.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Knuckles" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com