[Dixielandjazz] RE: phono amplifier

Jtnt at aol.com Jtnt at aol.com
Mon Sep 4 04:03:03 PDT 2006

_Cebuisle2 at aol.com _
(mailto:dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com?Subject=[Dixielandjazz]%20phono%20amplifier??&In-Reply-To=) wrote:

<<What kind of amp do I need to produce maybe 50-100 watts? Can I get  one on
EBAY? Can I steal one out of the thumper cars??  I need an  inexpensive
solution!>>

Ted--

Almost any kind of receiver/amp will work as long as it has an Aux input; I
see them frequently at yard/garage sales for around $10-$15. Got an old Marantz
in my garage that works great, and just replaced a Technics with a Home
Theater System. Got both the Marantz and the Technics at garage sales. (Had to get
a phono preamp for the HTS)

And you won't need 50-100 watts. Years ago, I had a Scott with 20 w/channel
driving 2 Bozak lowboys each with 15" woofer and 10" midrange. Neighbor across
the street said he thought there was a live band in the house.

So check your local want-advertiser or or Salvation Army store or the like
for older stuff. You ought to be able to get by for under $20.

Jack Thomas