[Dixielandjazz] What about Low notes?

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sat Sep 2 08:22:14 PDT 2006

I just played a gig where the tuba player said that it has been shown
that very low frequencies can kill cockroaches.  Where in god's name
does that type of statement come from? Is this one of those "urban
myths"?     Does anyone else out there in DJML Land have any info
regarding low frequencies, and it's effect on insects?  If the
cockroach theory is true, then why aren't the "cockroaches" who drive
those cars around with the over-amplified bass thumpers dying behind
the wheel?  This could possibly be a whole new area of employment for
tuba players.  When not gigging,  they could be working for Orkin.  (As
an aside .  . . .Interestingly enough, my spell-check does not
recognize the word gigging). . . Hmmmmm,

Are there any tuba players out there with cockroaches in their
residence? If so, this would promptly dispel the notion.  Or, perhaps
you possibly haven't played the right low tones and need to do some
experimenting of your own.

Did Maynard have cockroaches?,,, perhaps his high notes had the same
effect.